Saturday, October 31, 2015

Death on the horizon

10.31.2015

And Death stood on the horizon
Atop a hill not far from me
And He 
Or She
Looked around in wonder
As souls in past taken 
Rose up from their rest
And wandered the grounds 'round my home
And on this All Hallows' Eve
Whilst I could see nothingness where a face would be 
It seemed to me that I saw the gleen of a smile from under The Hood
As Death itself felt the eve' and its magic
And all that had been reaped 'neath the great sickle
Stood up and danced a dance of life
That came but once per year 
And as those souls leapt and danced and shook off a year's slumber
Death turned its hood to me
And the echo of an echo of laughter fell upon my ears
And words 
Whispered from nowhere

You, you will dance this dance one night

And Death pointed its finger at me
And The Hood shook as from laughter 
And the great sickle dipped in my direction
As if to taste something for which it would wait
Patiently
I hoped 
Then turning away to watch the dance
Eventually 
As the sun peaked from the near horizon
The shadows slowly at first
Then with haste
Found their ways back to where they had come from

But Death did not move
Standing upon the horizon
On that hill
Overlooking my home 
And glanced back at me for a moment
Shook once more 
With laughter? 
And when all the souls had been laid back to their rest
Nodded its head 
And moved forward
Disappearing into the new light

I was left with the memory burned into my mind's eye
With the warning of my pending dance
But, perhaps, with a little less fear of the dying 
And rotting
For in the end
We all die
But occasionally 
We all get to dance 


©johnfklee

No comments:

Post a Comment